The monthly Police District 17 PSA-1 meeting was held Thursday night at the SOSNA office. Captain Nicholas Brown, newly installed early February, introduced himself and stated some of his goals for the district. He has been with the force for 24 years, lately from the narcotics division. He would like to:
- Establish deterrence groups as a way of combating gun violence.
- Bring back police foot patrols, especially from 8 pm to 4 am when most violent crimes are committed.
- Start a district level narcotics team.
- Cut down the number of burglaries, thefts and home break-ins, which are the types of incidents that occur the most in PSA-1. ("We're getting crushed" with thefts from auto.)
- Raise beyond the basics the level of training his police staff has for processing crime scenes.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don't let talking on a cell phone distract you from what's going on around you.
- If you think someone is following you, do a double street crossing. If the person also crosses the street twice to continue following you, find a safe place and call 911 for assistance.
- If you've been out late drinking, don't walk home alone. Walk in a group or call a cab.
- Don't leave anything of value in open view in your parked car. Not even loose change.
- Always report crimes. The information you provide may help the police solve a series of crimes.
|Robbery No Firearm||1||1|
|Theft From Vehicle||1||1|